Is Alimony Affecting You?
It can be a difficult time when you get a divorce. It can be even more difficult if you rely on your spouse to take care of you financially. Fortunately, Alimony which is sometimes called spousal maintenance is something that is either agreed upon by the couple during the divorce or ordered by the court. Something you should keep in mind before or after your divorce if there are issues is to contact a Rhode Island Alimony Attorney so that they can make sure that everything is handled correctly.
Alimony is not something that is simply granted because one spouse demands it. When an alimony order is put in place during court proceedings the judge will consider several things including:
- How long the couple was married
- Spousal conduct during the marriage
- How healthy and how old the spouses are
- The employment situation of the spouses
- Job skill and ability to work of the spouses
- Whether one spouse has custody of a minor child from the current marriage and because of this is unable to work
- If one spouse was a homemaker and would need to acquire skills to join the workforce so that they can provide for themselves
- What the standards of living were during the marriage
- How likely either spouse is to acquire property or income in the future
- The ability for one spouse to pay alimony based on their assets and ability to create income.
When you add all these things together, it can be very confusing. Having the guidance of Rhode Island Alimony Attorney can make all the difference. Having a Rhode Island Alimony Attorney can also save you a great deal of money. In Rhode Island, there are no set guidelines for how long alimony should last.
Contacting a Rhode Island Alimony Attorney
If you are experiencing difficulty with alimony or there is an alimony order against you it is important that you contact a Rhode Island Alimony Attorney. The law office of Susan T. Perkins can assist you with any questions you have and will make sure that you work with a Rhode Island Alimony Attorney that will benefit you the most.